PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

5.22.2011

Flower and Plant Week

Well now that little Avrie has joined our family we are trying to get right back into the swing of things. I think the more kids you have the more natural it is to add another one! I have been blessed with another good baby and a great recovery so I thought it would be fun to get back to our weekly themes!! I LOVE having a weekly theme that makes learning fun and exciting for my kids, but also ensures that I spend some quality time with them. It can get so busy just keeping up the house and doing all the things that HAVE to get done, before I know it the week will be over and I won't have truly enjoyed my kids and the wonderful stages they are at.

Spring is here (maybe, if it will ever stop raining!:) and we have some fun flower/plant theme activities planned.

The first thing I am really excited to do with Skylar is a very simple science experiment. She loves the TV show "Sid the Science Kid" and is slightly obsessed! Every day she asks me when we can do an experiment :) One thing I have learned with my children is if they are showing an interest in something I need to jump on it and take every opportunity I have to get them excited about learning. And if today it happens to be science experiments, so be it!! We did this probably two years ago, but now she is actually old enough to understand :) All you do is get a bunch of white carnations. Then you fill up cups with water and different colored drops of food coloring, and as the flowers drink up the water you can see them changing colors! :) I think it will be a fun way to explain how plants and flowers need water, and I'm also thinking we could put together a graph showing which colors affect the flowers the most.

Another fun activity we did when Skylar was in a cute little playgroup a few years ago. One of the moms had the best idea :) She got little planters and let the kids plant grass seeds. The great idea was they planted the seed to form their first initial. So as the grass grows, it will form an S or a K for my girls, and I think they will love looking at them :)

Since I am now rocking a typical post-baby body I have dedicated myself to helping not only myself but also my kids be more healthy. I was excited to find some fun ideas for healthy snacks this week. First up we will be attempting this...










Ok, probably won't turn out QUITE like that, but I think it will be fun to attempt :) Nothing a little melon baller and some heart shaped cookie cutters can't handle...right?? :) Sometimes its also as simple as making PB&J sandwhiches for lunch and using the flower shaped cookie cutter...I don't know, my kids love it!!


I also went online to one of my favorite sites, www.dltk-kids.com and printed off a bunch of flower coloring pages. One day I will have the kids color these and then later on in the week we are going to go to some local gardens and take the coloring pages with us. I am going to put them in sheet protectors and then let the kids go on a scavenger hunt and see if they can find the different flowers they had colored pictures of. If you don't have any nice gardens by you, you could also just go to a florist shop. HERE is the direct link to the coloring pages


Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week and take some time to treasure all the precious moments we have with our little ones!

0 comments: